COVID Testing Fee Update
Government funding for free COVID testing is running out. Some providers have run out of funds entirely while some providers will be running out shortly. Therefore, you may start being charged as part of your insurance benefit, similar to the cost of any other lab test. If you don’t have insurance, you will be billed at the rate the lab charges for that service. It is impossible for Stamford Pediatrics to keep track of which providers still have funds, as this can change on a day to day basis. If you have concerns about the fee, you will need to ask the lab or provider who is performing the test.
COVID Vaccine Update for 6mos.- 4 year olds
COVID vaccines are now available for all infants and children older than 6 months of age.
The physicians at Stamford Pediatrics uniformly endorse and encourage COVID-19 vaccination in all of our patients greater than 6 months of age. Both vaccines are safe and effective. Stamford Pediatrics is not currently administering COVID vaccine to any age group due to staffing and space constraints. Many options are available for getting your child vaccinated.
Child Friendly Vaccine Administration Sites
To help with your knowledge and decision making, here are vaccine basics for 6 mos.-4 yrs. of age:
- Pfizer and Moderna are both approved and available.
- Pfizer 3 dose series, 3-8 wks between doses #1 and #2, 8 wks between doses #2 and #3.
- Moderna 2 dose series, 4-8 weeks between doses #1 and #2
- Side effect profile is similar to other age groups, most common being: fever, chills, tiredness, headache
- Booster shots beyond the above recommended primary series have not been approved
- There are very few contraindications to vaccination (i.e. current COVID illness, current fever)
- COVID vaccines can be given at the same time as other routine vaccines
COVID Vaccine Resources
- COVID-19 Vaccine Recommendations for Infants, Children and Teens ⧁
- Why Children and Teens Should Get Vaccinated Against COVID-19 ⧁
- Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine Overview and Safety ⧁
- Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine Overview and Safety ⧁
- USAToday: Youngest Americans can start getting COVID-19 vaccines Tuesday. Here’s what every parent should know. ⧁
- What should parents know about the COVID vaccine for kids under 5? ⧁
- COVID Vaccines for Kids 6 Months & Older: FAQs for Families ⧁
- When can kids get the COVID vaccine or booster? ⧁